Friday 8 March 2013

Veg Momos or Vegetable Dumplings

Yesterday me and my husband were chatting about his college Nainital trip and he told that he had veg momos there for the very first time and he likes them very much. He said that it is a steam cooked vegetable dumplings mostly seen in northern hill stations of India. Its a Nepal and Tibet native dish.

I had seen momos in my office cafeteria and immediately I had a picture of it in my mind. Some how I never tried it (Never had a healthy sense before :)) I always used to have chats during my snack time. Only good thing I did was I used to have sandwiches for breakfasts.

I wanted to prepare it for him as today's breakfast which I did (It was heavenly). Yesterday I started searching for the recipe and made some variations and prepared it today (I never tasted it before). With my basic sense of taste and a bit of imagination, they turned out yummy(Of course, I cannot compare with the originals). He was surprised for making it so perfectly for the very first time without even tasting it. And he also said that the trick of adding the wheat flour instead maida made it even non-sticky.Thanks to all the food bloggers for helping me in making such a wonderful dish.

If a delicious and heavenly dish comes with a bonus of low calories and high nutrition value, then it will be a double dhamaka offer. Isn't it :). Since I am on a healthy diet, I am planning to do it often.

Ingredients:

Wheat flour - 2 cups
(Although generally made with all purpose flour (maida), I preferred preparing it using wheat flour)
Cabbage- 1/4 (finely chopped)
Carrots- 4 (finely chopped)
Spring onions - 2 (finely chopped)
Soya sauce - 1tbsp
Oil- 2tbsp
Ginger Garlic Paste- 1 tbsp
Green chilli paste - 1tbsp
Salt- To taste

Procedure:
  1. Mix the wheat flour and salt and knead it into dough with required water. Coat it with 1tbsp of oil and knead it again. Cover it with a cloth for around 15-20 mins.
  2. Heat 1tbsp of oil in a pan. Add chilli paste, ginger garlic paste and stir fry for few seconds. 
  3. Add cabbage, carrots and stir for few seconds. Add spring onions, soya sauce and some salt to it (Remember you already added salt to dough) and stir fry again for few more seconds. Switch off the flame.
  4. Take the dough and make into small balls. Roll each ball into small and thin round shapes.
  5. Take the vegetables mixture and fill it into each ball of dough.
  6. Now twist the edges to seal the filling inside the dough.
  7. Once they are ready, put them in pressure cooker or idli cooker by greasing the idli moulds and steam it for 15 mins on simmer and more 5 mins after switching off the flame.
  8. Serve these yummy, delicious, low calorie, highly nutritious veg momos with tomato sauce or tomato ketchup.




No comments:

Post a Comment